CEREC is a revolutionary computer aided system that lets us design, make and fit a brand new crown, veneer, onlay or inlay in just one visit. That’s pretty fast going, as the conventional process normally takes a couple of weeks or more!
How does it work?
We prepare the tooth in question just as we would for a normal crown or veneer, but instead of using old school dental putty to take an impression of the prepared tooth, we take a 3D pic using a special camera. This is used to make a model of your tooth from which we will design your smart new restoration. When we are totally happy with this design we send the relevant data to an onsite machine that cleverly creates the new tooth fitting from a colour matched ceramic block.
As if by space age magic, your restoration is then ready. We may carry out a little fine tuning to make sure your tooth restoration will blend in with your existing teeth but when we are satisfied it will be the perfect fit, we affix it permanently onto the prepared tooth.
It’s all in the name…
Originally developed in 1985 in Switzerland, CEREC may sound like an odd name but it actually stems from the initial letters of all its beautiful benefits: Chairside Economical Restorations of Esthetic Ceramics.
What are the benefits?
- A damaged or decayed tooth can be restored to its former glory (the restoration and esthetic elements of CEREC) with tooth matching ceramics.
- The beauty of CEREC is that everything can be done and dusted in one visit – that’s where the chairside bit comes in. This means less time away from work (that’s good – right?) or just your life in general, as a conventionally fitted restoration would normally require two or three visits.
- You only need one set of anaesthetic injections (phew!) as it is all carried out so quickly.
- We have complete control over the final result – that’s not just us being control freaks – it means you benefit from more successful results as a technician in an off-site lab will not have seen you or your teeth.
- As there is no waiting between appointments, you will not need a temporary restoration to protect your tooth – so that’s one less step to slow down the process.
This all sounds super speedy – so that must mean it’s more pricy?
There’s actually very little difference in cost because you only need one appointment and there are no external lab costs (remember the economical bit of the name!)
So give us a call on 01932 582 949 and find out how we can treat you to a brand new look in superfast time