You Must Maintain Proper Oral Hygiene To Avoid Tooth And Gum Diseases. At The Courtyard Clinic Our Ethos Is Prevention Is Better Than Cure So Please Follow Our Top Tips:
How to keep good oral hygiene
- Get routine dental cleaning of your teeth and gums. Visit for cleaning every six months at least.
- Reduce your carbohydrate intake. Bacteria on the teeth will feed on the sugar from carbs and cause further damage. Reducing carbs will take food sources away from bacteria.
- Be wary of high acid diets, as these can also damage teeth via erosion.
- Use fluoride in your toothpaste, avoid any home remedies, fluoride free products or charcoal toothpastes.
- Brush and floss/tepe regularly! This is vital for tooth and gum health.
- Use a tongue scraper to remove the bacterial film here.
- Mouthwash separate to brushing.
Tooth brushing technique
- Make sure you always use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- We recommend an oral b electric toothbrush if you are going to invest.
- Use fluoride-rich anti-decay toothpaste. Ask our dentists if your toothpaste has enough fluoride in it.
- Brush in a circular motion, holding the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gum.
- Brush for a minimum of 2-3 minutes, twice a day!
- Brush your gums as well as your teeth, to sufficiently attack bacteria on there as well as the teeth.
- Make sure you don’t brush so hard that your gums recede to the root.
- Spit out the excess toothpaste, but don’t rinse after with mouthwash or water. Let the residue sit in your mouth.
- Use a floss around 18 inches long and wrap it around one finger to maximize effectiveness.
- Floss each and every tooth, using a “C” shape with the floss each time you do.
- Floss in the pockets of your gums.
- These instructions will remove plaque from behind your teeth, and in areas your brush cannot normally reach.
- Do this twice a day with brushing.
How to use Tepes
- Tepe between each tooth.
- Use your interdental brushes every time you brush your teeth, twice a day.
- Use a brush that is the right size for your teeth, gently work the brush into the gaps between your teeth and brush it back and forth to remove plaque.
- As part of a hygiene appointment, we will size your mouth up for the correct tepe brushes for each area in your mouth.
- Not a must but a great habit to form.
- Use mouthwash on a separate occasion to brushing, for example at lunch time or when you are back from work/school.
- Do not use after tooth brushing.