You may want to reconsider reaching for a soft drink or sugar-laden fruit drink the next time you’re in the mood for a beverage. Other than the high caloric content of such drinks, these drinks can have a profoundly damaging effect on your tooth enamel. The culprits – citric acid and sugar. The average soft drink currently contains approximately 17 grams of sugar. That’s a tad more sugar than is found in 4 sugar cubes! Yuck.
What’s even more alarming as far as I’m concerned is that many soft drinks and fruit drinks contain citric acid. Citric acid is an acid which dissolves tooth enamel …combine this with the drink being fizzy (carbon dioxide and water make carbonic acid…!!) and you have an even more erosive cocktail! These drinks can be very danaging to teeth, particularly in youngsters who seem to consume several such drinks a day.
Increasingly we are seeing tooth decay and sensitivity caused by soft drink consumption…..our medical colleagues are also concerned about the longterm effects of carbonated drinks on the bony skeleton.
So best advice is to drink plenty of milk and more water!!
Posted by Dr. Yasmin George.