These can include:
- Soy sauce
- Red wine
- Dark fizzy drinks
- Dark fruit juice
- Extremely hot or cold liquids are dangerous to your white smile because they change the temperature of your teeth. Temperature change causes teeth to expand and contract, allowing stains to penetrate your teeth.
- Slightly acidic foods open up the pores of the tooth enamel allowing stains to more easily move into your teeth.
- Tobacco from cigarettes and cigars quickly stains teeth yellow.
How to get rid of stains
If your teeth are mildly discolored, stains can be removed by tooth whitening, bleaching and/or microabrasion. If the stain is severe or deep in the tooth, it can be covered with some bonding or porcelain veneer.
Tips to keep your teeth free of stains
Limit the intake of foods that stain your teeth. Brush and floss your teeth every day. Use an electric toothbrush (electric toothbrushes can remove 98.2 percent of plaque).
- Use a mouthwash with an antibacterial action to help dissolve plaque.
- Have regular hygienist visits.